I’m not sure how it happened so fast, but my baby just turned 2! It honestly blows my mind. We spent the better part of last week and this weekend celebrating the little tike and trying to make it a special event for him. Although I generally consider myself to be a planner, I sort of dropped the ball on planning a special birthday cake for his party. I knew I had several cake mixes in the pantry and thought I’d just throw something together at the last minute. That’s basically what I did, but I was able to spruce things up for him a bit when I had the idea to make cupcakes in ice cream cones. I’ve made these once before and even went so far as to make a special cooking gadget by turning an aluminum cooking tray upside down and cutting holes out of it to hold each cupcake. Well, that was tedious. And unnecessary. This time I wised up and just used a cupcake pan and a 9×13 pan (because I only had one cupcake pan).
- Cake mix (or your favorite cake recipe)
- Sprinkles (obviously)
- cupcake pans or 9×13 pans
- ice cream cones (flat on bottom)
- Make the cake mix according to the instructions
- Place one ice cream cone in each spot of the cupcake pan, or spaced a couple inches apart in a 9×13 pan
- Fill each ice cream cone with cake batter until batter is about 1/2 inch below the top of the ice cream cone
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. Cupcakes should be starting to brown on top.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely, cut off any cake that spilled over the edge, then add frosting and sprinkles.
One cake mix yielded about 21 cupcakes. The kids sure did love these! I love how easy it is for the uncoordinated ones to feed themselves too!